About 50,000 house fires result from electrical problems every year in the U.S. This means homeowners need to make sure the wiring and electrical system is in good condition. In order to ensure safety and security for the family members, homeowners must replace outdated, damaged or poorly installed/ maintained wiring without delay. Knowing the symptoms of electrical problems can help homeowners take immediate action and prevent the dangers of electrocution, injury and property damage.
While it is recommended that the homeowners should hire professional electrical contractors like New Edge Group to get the electrical systems annually, it is also important that they keep their eye open for the signs that indicate problems with the electrical wiring. Here are some warning signs of faulty electrical wiring and these call for immediate response.
- Burning Smell from Outlets
Do you get smoky, or burning smells when your turn on the switches on the electrical outlets or turn on the appliances? If you do, then you need to get the electrical wirings checked immediately. Overloaded circuits, damaged or exposed wires, fire hazards inside electrical outlets can lead to house fires. Thus, if you get burning smell from the outlets or see smoke then shut off the mains and call the electrical contractor immediately.
Do you feel a jolt of current when you touch the electrical outlets and appliances? It might be a sign of malfunctioning electrical wiring system. Electrical outlets and appliances give shocks when the protective covering wears off from the internal home wiring. If you or other family members have felt the jolts of current quite often, then you must call upon the electrical contractor and get things fixed immediately to prevent severe electrocution hazards.
- Problem with the Circuit Breaker
Circuit breakers are designed to trip in case a circuit gets overloaded thus shutting down the electric supply from the mains. This ensures that the wires do not get overheated and catch fire. Circuit breakers might also trip without any reason if they are too old. Thus, if the breakers trip too frequently then it might be time to call the electrician and get the system upgraded. You should never try to work on the electrical circuits yourself because electrical power enters the panel even when the main breaker is shut off. Moreover, even a small mistake can make entire electrical system blow-out. So make sure only trained and licensed electricians deal with the electrical problems in your house.
- Flickering Lights
Do the lights flicker when you turn them on? Flickering or dimming lights are a sign of outdated or damaged electrical wiring. Lights often flicker when other appliances are wired to the same circuit. Too much flickering can also make the light bulbs blow out, increasing your monthly expenses. Moreover, flickering lights can be frustrating, so it is a must that a professional electrician inspects the wiring and gets it fixed quickly.
The above are the warning signs of faulty electrical wiring and these must be addressed at once. So if you see one or more of these signs in your home, call the electrician at once.